Welcome to the ‘ber months! Labor Day weekend always feels so bittersweet to me. While I’m sad to see summer go, the fall and holidays are a time of year that I really love. Plus (and this feels truly wild to say) – I’m getting married this month and then we’ll be headed out on our honeymoon. Needless to say, a lot to look forward to! We’re spending the long weekend at the lake house with my family which has become a lovely little yearly tradition. Hope you all have fun plans! Before we head out – here’s what’s on my mind, on my bookshelf and in my cart.
ON MY MIND:
- It’s ironic that – despite never dreaming of a big wedding – half of my favorite movies center around the big day. Just for fun, in the weeks leading up to our own, Adam and I have been watching 1 classic wedding movie a week. So far we’ve done The Wedding Singer and Four Weddings & A Funeral – still in the docket: My Best Friend’s Wedding, Father of the Bride, and Runaway Bride. What are we missing?
- What else have you been watching? We’re in season 2 of The Bear (obsessed) and I just finished season 2 of The Summer I Turned Pretty. I read the books so I knew this season was going to be a heartbreaker, but still.. oof. #TeamConrad forever though. I want to start on season 3 of Only Murders in the Building too.
- I don’t think I’ve ever shared a recipe here before (a skilled chef I am not) but in an effort to save money on takeout and eat healthy I’ve been making ‘kung pao shrimp‘ at home this summer and it’s SO good. And easy. My only two requirements.
IN MY CART:
- I’m almost shocked at how much reading I managed this summer, despite an absolutely bonkers few months. I think it totaled 12 books! I’m going to post a recap of them all later this weekend.
- My book club is meeting in a couple of weeks to chat about The Bandit Queens by Parini Shroff – I need to dive in asap if I’m going to finish in time!
- You know when you’re just going to love a book before you’ve even started it? Tom Lake by Ann Patchett is getting great reviews and since I’ve pretty much loved everything she’s ever written.. it feels like a sure thing.
IN MY CART:
- Now that I’ve got my wedding day attire *nearly* squared away.. I’ve turned all attention to planning my honeymoon outfits. Why didn’t anyone mention how fun this part would be?!? I’m not going to give too much away about our plans but I can tell you.. there will definitely be occasion for fun accessories. I just got this black beaded evening bag, these high shine silver mary jane heels and have my eye on this rosette choker – which I’m thinking might double well as a belt over a dress.
- Speaking of accessories – you all KNOW I’m a fall shoe devotee. And this season there are so many ‘trends’ that feel timeless to me and are right up my more classic style alley. I’m excited to jump on board with: kitten heels, bright cherry red or dark wine red (code: THESTEELEMAIDEN15 gets you 15% off this pair), loafers, mary janes, ballet flats, chocolate brown.. I promise to exert some modicum of restraint.
- I need a bit of a denim refresh this season and I love this simple wide, but not too wide, pair and this pencil skirt (note: I first ordered my usual size in this skirt and it was very large – I’m sizing down 2 sizes in this and then I think it will be perfect. It has quite a bit of stretch).
- Completely frivolous but I got this pumpkin mug last year and it brings me SO much joy. It sold out quickly but I just saw they’re back in stock in cute new colors this year. I suggest you make a run for it.
- Talbots – is that you? How cool is this leather blazer. If you’re not feeling that 90s though – this colorful tweed option is the type of thing I always go with from the brand. Throw on over a mini dress or with a pair of jeans and a cardigan and you’re good to go.
- The Reformation Sale is still going on – but sizes are going fast. I love this midi dress. And not on sale – but how pretty is this polka dot top for a date night?
- Aside from our own, we also have a 2 other weddings to attend this fall. I tried this dress on a whim (under $120) and ended up loving it – the color and fit are gorgeous in person. I’m packing it for our honeymoon and planning to re-wear it to one of the other weddings.
- I’m pretty sure I’ve begged this of you all in years past, but truly.. bury me in a mini skirt, sweater, and loafers.
SHOP THE POST: