ON MY MIND:
- I watched the premier of The Wonder Years reboot this week and had all the feels. I grew up watching the original and it’s one of those shows that just makes me really nostalgic for being that age. Not to mention that Winnie Cooper remains a major style muse for me. I love that they’re heading back to that era but showing another perspective.
- Adam and I are both in pretty busy seasons of work, but I’m determined to carve out time for some fun date nights and a day trip or two this Fall. Hopefully we can make it back upstate and maybe I can convince him to see a Broadway show with me? I’d love to catch Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick in Plaza Suite.
- I’m probably late to the game here but I’ve been listening to Kacey Musgraves new album Star Crossed on repeat. So good!
- I’m finally getting a full weekend at home after being away at least partially for the past 6 weekends in a row (cue me coming down with a cold last week). I plan on hitting up the Union Square farmer’s market for pumpkins and switching my wardrobe over to fall clothes!
ON MY BOOKSHELF:
- I finished The Mothers by Brit Bennett last week and really loved it. It was her debut novel and I found that I liked it more than The Vanishing Half – which was so popular last year. There was something more subtle and searing about this one and I loved the way it explored motherhood from many different angles. Regardless – I’m sure I’ll be reading anything Bennett comes out with from now on.
- Claire and I (my other half @prettywords) both are reading Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead right now and are totally swept away. It’s really fun to be reading at the same time so we can discuss and it makes the fact that this is a 600 page novel feel a bit less intimidating. The story moves back and forth through time, focusing on a female pilot in the 1950s, her parents in the 1910s and the actress playing her in a movie in 2010s.
- My New York book club chose Colson Whitehead’s new novel, Harlem Shuffle, as our next book and I’m really excited to see what this one is like. I love The Underground Railroad and Nickel Boys, but this latest book is apparently a bit of a departure from those and more of a suspense/mystery.
- If you read my Fall reading post then it should come as no surprise that I pre-ordered Alice Hoffman’s last book in the Practical Magic series – The Book of Magic. I can’t wait until it arrives in early October.
IN MY CART:
- I mentioned on IG stories but for the first time in a long time I’m really excited about fashion again. And I’ve got the overflowing online shopping carts to show for it. Trying not to go crazy but who am I to resist a cute plaid mini skirt on sale?
- I’m the worst when it comes to buying new makeup. After my favorite eyeliner was down to a stub I finally reordered a new one. It’s a bronze-y brown that’s not too metallic but has just enough shine to brighten up my typically tired eyes.
- It’s ironic that after spending the last decade working in the jewelry I rarely buy any. This pearl and onyx ring feels like a piece I’d wear forever though. Thinking of treating myself after a big year at work.
- Blame it on the pandemic or just my getting older but my threshold for uncomfortable shoes has dropped drastically. Inez convinced me of their comfort with these strappy sandals and I’ve only heard rave reviews about their boots. I can’t stop thinking about these perfect tan suede ankle boots and code STEELE15 gets you 15% off.
- I’m always stalking this brand for sales and finding this floral mini dress at 70% off feels like a major steal. So cute for those date nights I mentioned!
- I love the idea of these high waisted drape-y trousers. They remind me of some of my favorite 90s sitcom working women like Helen Hunt in her Mad About You years.
- With my 2 day a week commute to Brooklyn, I’ve found myself officially needing to carry a “commuter back-pack”. My last one was from this same brand and has held up great for 6 years but it finally needs a replacement. I like it in black this time around.
SHOP THE POST: