A few weeks back on Instagram stories I took a poll and so many of you voted that you’d like to see more hair and beauty ideas. I consider myself pretty amateur in those departments so I was fairly surprised that you wanted advice from yours truly – but then I realized maybe that was the point. To get style tips that you felt like were actually achievable by a regular, non-expert, non-famous You Tube beauty blogger, real life lady like myself. Well ask and you shall receive.
I teamed up with my favorite hair stylist Sarah Rappolt from Wonderland Beauty Parlor to bring you 3 easy holiday hair styles. None of them took more than 5 minutes and all of them made me feel way more put together than usual. Perfect for any holiday occasion you’ve got on your agenda this season.
SHOP THE STORY
CASUAL AND CUTE: Loose Waves with a Velvet Turban Headband
Perfect for Friendsgivings, casual family get togethers and ugly sweater parties. This hair style is way cuter than your typical ponytail or hair down look but not so perfect that you’ll feel bad taking a nap on it after you’ve eaten a big meal.
1. Start with clean, dry hair and add plenty of texturizing spray for volume and to help hold shape.
2. Use a 1″ curling iron or wand and wrap random sections horizontally, holding each section for a few seconds before releasing.
3. Apply a light coverage of hair spray then brush through and tousle.
4. Create a deep side part and set headband just behind ears, leaving 1-2 large strands of hair untucked. Swoop back and pin just behind the base of the headband. Done!
SIMPLE AND CHIC: Half Up Twist with a Velvet Hair Bow
Perfect for tree-trimming parties, meeting your new boyfriend’s family and your office holiday party. It’s sweet but not fussy and festive but not overly formal. Basically the goldilocks of holiday hair styles.
1.Begin with clean, dry hair and again – apply plenty of texture spray to get a good grip (especially if you have fine or smooth hair like I do).
2. Brush your hair straight back to hide your part, then grab two 1″ sections of hair from along your right temple.
3. Twist the two together, adding in additional small sections to the top section until you’ve twisted to the center back of your head. Pin in place then repeat on the left side.
4. Secure the two twists together with a thin ponytail holder. Then pin in your velvet bow. Done!
EFFORTLESSLY ELEGANT: Undone Up-Do with Crystal Bobby Pins
Perfect for a fancy holiday dinner, winter wedding or even New Years’ Eve. This look is deceptively simple but makes such an impact. Plus, since the look isn’t pin perfect it’s fine if it loosens throughout the night. Overall it feels special and sparkly – just like the holidays.
1.Start with clean, dry hair and apply hair powder to your scalp in 3-4 places. Then finger comb through. Add extra texturizing spray if your hair easily falls flat or is naturally very straight.
2. Create random, loose waves using a 1″ curling iron then brush through. You should be left with allover waves that feel natural and not too bouncy or perfect.
3.Loosely pull all hair back to the nape of your neck and secure into a ponytail (not too tight!).
4. Separate ponytail into two equal sections and twist together then secure at ends with a small ponytail holder.
5. Twist the twisted ponytail around into a bun shape and pin the side of the bun so that they stay in place.
6. Pull hair upwards lightly at the crown and allow loose pieces to fall to frame your face. Spray allover lightly with hairspray.
7. Insert 3-5 small crystal bobby pins leading along one side of your head back into the bun. Done!
P.S. If you’re in the New York area and interested in having Sarah (my hair magician) cut or style your hair this holiday season – she’s generously offering 20% off her services with code STEELEMAIDEN20. Contact her here.